YMA Grad day..

My journey in YMA ended last Sept. 5, 2009.
Though the call time is at 7am. As early as six in the morning, I was already at the 5th floor of the Sarrosa International Hotel, the venue for the Best of Young Minds Conference, Awards and Graduation. I came early because my group mates and I have to practice our presentation.

It was past seven in the morning when the registration team came. We were asked to fill up the YMA evaluation sheet. When Macky handed me the evaluation sheet, I reminded myself that it is the last evaluation sheet that I can fill up for YMA is ending and I have no more Saturday sessions to attend to. I should give my best in answering the questions.


Few minutes passed by, some teams were at the venue. With their business attires and cocktail dresses, they were very nice to look at. It was as if they are not students anymore, but professionals.


The VIPs include Sir Bobby Aboitiz, Sir Roberto Aboitiz, our headmaster Ma’am Evelyn Nacario Castro, our principal Ma’am Domi Chua, the CEO and President of City Savings Bank Mrs. Golsby, and the mentors.


Sir Anton Dignadise, the moderator for Generation three, was the one who introduced our jurors and organized the project proposal presentation; on what team will present, how many minutes will ne alotted for each of the presentations, what is the maximum time for the jury to comment on a certain project.


By the time that Sir Anton announced that Mrs. Golsby was one of the jurors, I told myself, “we will have a hard time defending our project with her as our juror. She is talkative and meticulous. tsk3x”


The first to present was our co-UPians, Team Hammurabi. They were followed by Stephen’s team, Team Sorates and Team Lao Tzu. These teams were the finalists for the Most Influential Team Award and Most Innovative Project Proposal Award for the Gen. 3.

We were not chosen to present were not able to live up to UP High’s expectations. Then, I remembered what my co-scholar, Rhyle Clifford Sayat said, " conso (consolation) nani nako ..I did my best.. bahala nag dili mi kadaug..” I really did my best during the project making stage: I went to two High Schools, asking them if they agree to be our beneficiary; did some of the paper works; and spent a lot of money for the printing, photocopies and folders. Though the results of my efforts were not very good, at least I have complied with the graduation requirements of YMA.


Later, we headed to the second floor wherein the YMA Graduation was held. The program started with a prayer delivered by Jan Noel Canieso, a YMA Season 1 scholar. Then, we sang the Philippine National Anthem.


We, the graduates, marched and got our diplomas. We also had the chance to shake hands with RAFI Vice President and Aboitiz Equity Ventures CEO Jon Ramon Aboitiz and RAFI President Roberto E. Aboitiz. While I was going back to my seat, my best friend Fe, my cousin Monica and Elizar greeted me. What a nice feeling! :)


Every scholar was given a bag and a cap. I got a jacket and a pin, for attending most of the YMA sessions. I’m so happy that my goal to receive a jacket was fulfilled. Yeah!


Irenea Ferolino (generation 1), Roberto Martin Misterio (generation 2), and Stephen Magallon (Generation three) got the Jon Ramon Aboitiz Medal for Excellence because they were the ones who really used their personal excellence and improved their skills in YMA. Irenea Ferolino got the award for the perfect attendance. Paul Ernesto Matthews, from Generation 3 got the Bridging Leader Award for he was the most friendly scholar.

Jon Ramon Aboitiz shared an inspirational talk on how the Aboitiz Company started. It was very rousing that a son of a shepherd, Don Ramon Aboitiz, could start a very large company.

His talk included the topics: Integrity, Trust, Loyalty, Hard work, Fairness, Perseverance, Love of family & concern for others, and the 9 Pillars of Character and Leadership.

Roberto E. Aboitiz also gave an inspirational speech about the “BUGSAY PHILOSOPHY” which comprises of the following: Destination, Round up, Effort and Attitude; in which he placed a great emphasis on ATTITUDE. ”One must not only have the desire to be a person of character, the will to continuously improve but also the courage to put it into action and continue doing it despite the challenges and problems along the way towards one’s goal or destination.”(Source: http://www.vernongo.com/)

After that, the scholars gave a tribute to the mentors, thanking them for giving a great help for the improvement of their project.


As a bid of goodbye, Russell Christian Fernandez shared his testimony about YMA. After that, we had the picture taking. Twing!! Picture-picture!!!!


-----


YMA has ended.
No more Saturday sessions to attend to.
No more activity reports to make.
No more immersions.
No more updates from Kuya Mel.
No more delicious foods.
No more YMA attendance sheets.
RAFI Plenary hall will now be part of the scholars’ memory.


so saaaaaaad... :'(


(To those who were absent during the graduation, just read this blog entry. You won’t miss any single part of the event because this blog entry is sooooo narrative…haha)

2 Responses so far.

Leave a Reply