personal blog post: without dad around, life's miserable

 2:27 AM, just after ABS CBN played the national anthem
April 26, 2011, the day after my birthday

I’m sleepy but I have to stay awake. My nephew and niece might wake up and cry. It’s so hard without dad around. He left for Leyte last night, gave me a birthday kiss, and left me with a big responsibility.

Tonight and for the two following nights, I have to watch over 5 kids; only two of them need utmost care, though. When these two cry, I have to do whatever I can to make them sleep: I’d tell lies, cradle them in my arms, etc.



These kids are my half sister’s children. Sadly, when her husband left her, she left the house too. She never came back after that and we don’t know where she is now. It has been months since she left. I wonder if she misses them. I wonder what the real reasons are for her leaving. Can she stand not to see her kids for years? I really don’t know. But one thing’s for sure: they may not have their parents’ support, these kids would grow up having me and my dad as their protectors.

It’s so hard to be a parent. But the feeling when you see them sleep so soundly or when they kiss you in the cheeks and say “ate Vernie!!” make you smile.

Leave a Reply