personal blog post: winter, i miss you

3:09AM, April 26, 2011, coffee keeps me awake

Yesterday afternoon, we sorted out the shoeboxes and other things that Sanna Pronk sent to us. She’s a Dutch who annually sends shoeboxes (with stuffs in them) for the kids in Cebu. Usually, ALEx (Aboitiz Leaders of Excellence) members are the ones who are going to distribute them to selected barangays.

We found some winter clothes and shoes! Aaah, winter. It made me remember my stay in Japan. Oh, it has been four months since I have been there. I miss the weather. I miss our daily routine.


Every day, we had to wake up at early to help Okaasan (that’s how we call our host mother) prepare breakfast. I would prepare the utensils while Stephanie* would help Okaasan cook. We usually had ham, eggs, rice, milk or corn soup, and seaweed for breakfast. After eating, Steph and I would wash the dishes and help Okaasan do the laundry. Helping the parents do the household chores is a common trait that Japanese and Filipino people share.

After doing the chores, we’d go jogging at a park near the house. It is equipped with materials for exercise such as sit ups. It also has a playground and a big stadium where concerts in Gifu are usually held. Exercising was my only way to perspire; since the weather was so cold, my sweat glands were having their rest days. :D

Japanese streets are so silent. Whenever you take a walk, you always feel safe and at peace. The cold morning weather is negligible because of the warm greetings, bows and smiles of the people whom you meet along the road. Some passersby would greet you “Ohayou”, which means good morning, with a smile. Of course, we were expected to greet back (I think this is also practiced in the rural areas in the Philippines but seldom in the urban areas). You could also see some people biking. Trivia: Do you know that in Japan, there should only be one biker per bicycle? If it exceeds one, it’s illegal. :D wai angkas didto bai.

We’d spend the whole day out of the house and travel to some places by car or by train. Click HERE to see the places we have been.

At 6PM onwards, Steph and I would take turns to use the PC. We eat dinner at 7 or 8PM. We’d do the usual routine, I’d prepare the utensils on the table and Steph would help Okaasan cook.

Since the weather’s very cold, and perhaps because of our culture, the two of us always wanted to go to sleep 30 minutes after eating but in order to survive the cold, we need to take a hot bath.

Before sleeping, I’d use the PC again and go to sleep at 12 midnight. Since the PC is placed near the veranda, in a space between our room and my host parents’ room, there were times that Otousan goes out of their room and advises me to sleep early because we have to wake up early the next day. Japanese are day people; they sleep and wake up early. Time is very important for them: once it is wasted, it can’t be brought back.

I miss the days. I miss the cold. I wish I could go back… which is possible! HAAHAH since otousan told me that there is a very big possibility that I could go to Japan again on December! Yeey.


* the other scholar who was also given a chance to go to Japan

Leave a Reply