Hallways

by: Vernie Naraja
written: August 8, 2011


If by chance we meet

In the hallways,
I wonder what you think of
The moment you see me

Do you see a good old friend?
Or a past you have forgotten?
Do you see someone who’s been a part of your life?
Or a complete stranger, a nobody?

Do you have second thoughts of saying hello?
Or at least putting up a smile before you go?
Or you’re really busy to say anything
And just walk past me, ignoring me completely?

I really am wondering,
because I think of a lot of things
the moment I see you
if by chance we meet in the hallways.

I think of the busy days we’ve spent together;
all the errands we had to do just to meet deadlines;
the laughters we’ve shared despite all the left-handed compliments we’ve received;
the silly jokes and all the teasing.

I think of the soda I spilled in your notebook;
your very long to-do list;
your poignant words, your inspiring actions;
your accomplishments, your greatness.

I’d have second thoughts of saying hello
‘coz maybe you’ll ignore me if I do
I get preoccupied and think for minutes
but it’d only take seconds and you’re gone already.

what do you really think of
the moment you see me
if by chance we meet
in the hallways?


I need an answer.
I need you to answer.
I am really wondering.
It’s perturbing.

Just because years have long rested between us
Doesn’t mean we have to ignore each other.
And just so you know,
I miss you too.





Leave a Reply